The art of creating garments that suit not only a personality but a way of life is all but lost in our homogenous society. We at the Pattern Piece think it is time that women reclaim the lost heritage of our grandmothers and great grandmothers and celebrate the beauty of handmade garments and accessories. Whether sewn, crocheted, knitted, smocked, embroidered, or commercially purchased and embellished, the mission of the Pattern Piece is to help aid women in learning to create garments that are both modest and beautiful.

Thursday, November 19, 2009

A Basic Jumper


Here you go. Meet Rag. Rag is the toothless little girl on the left. See the lack of hair on the top of the head? Notice the two left shoes (of differing styles)?

That's why she's Rag. Since her mop is a mess, we could even call her Ragg Mop. Yes we could.


The shorter little tyke is Muffin. That's because she's so cute and because it's the only way she can eat the things. Little gluten-free kid that she is.

I humbled myself and took this picture for a reason. It's embarrassin' how dirty my Rag is, how messed up her butch is, and her mis-matched shoes.

Little Muffin is sufficiently adorable. At least my oldest daughter takes care of her daughter better than I do my youngest. Apparently.



This jumper was made in "my" size 2. As you can see, it's too long for my petite, 2 year old, little granddaughter, but while it is big, she isn't swimming in it.

This jumper pulls over the head without zippers or buttons.

You can see how to make this jumper in the Pull-over Jumper Tutorial.














Now Rag is a very tall five year old. As you can see, in the pictures up there, she towers over her niece.

While the skirt is too short (for my tastes), the jumper slipped over her head, on and off, with complete ease. It fits her beautifully and if I was making this jumper for Rag, I'd have made this size with a 2" longer bodice and a 2" longer skirt.

So, just to show, patterns aren't always what they seem.

No comments:

Post a Comment