The art of creating garments that suit not only a personality but a way of life is all but lost in our homogenous society. We at the Pattern Piece think it is time that women reclaim the lost heritage of our grandmothers and great grandmothers and celebrate the beauty of handmade garments and accessories. Whether sewn, crocheted, knitted, smocked, embroidered, or commercially purchased and embellished, the mission of the Pattern Piece is to help aid women in learning to create garments that are both modest and beautiful.

Tuesday, November 17, 2009

So You Want to Sew


I know, it's kind of an obnoxious title but sometimes we need a smidgen of obnoxious to keep us on our toes. There is this air of mystique that surrounds those who sew. It is as if they are mini-miracle workers. Seamstresses start with a flat piece of fabric and end up with a garment or a purse or some other three dimensional item. They use incomprehensible words like shirring or selvedge. The word bias, in the sewing world, doesn't mean a preference and the term sewer is becoming a daily word in many people's vocabulary… but it isn't a receptacle for waste! (In spite of the vast amounts of time and materials we waste in the sewing process!) A French curve is not a new way to describe a model and pile has to do with how a fabric feels when you run your hands over it and nothing to do with how you store said fabric. Some sew-ers even have a warped sense of humor and name their seam rippers… Jack!


Too few people learn to sew in school or from family anymore. The skill is all but lost in some circles as being too difficult. I'm convinced this is due to the infamous 'Home Ec' classes offered in our school systems. Often, the first response I hear to the question, "Did you take Home Ec?" is "Yes… pull a thread, get your tracing wheel, and make sure you pin everything." I don't do any of those things. I almost never pin, even when cutting things out, I never pull a thread but sometimes I do tear the fabric, and I've never owned a tracing wheel!


I have been sewing since I was a small child. Although most of my early projects were simple and quickly forgotten, in my pre-teen years I began rereading my mother's Nancy Drew books and was bitten by the designing bug.

My desire for 'Nancy's' wardrobe inspired me to begin sewing and designing. My first project showed a flair and style that would soon characterize my sewing for years to come. That would be the 'wing it' style. While my mother knew little about sewing, when she saw me about to cut stripes the wrong direction, I had my first and essentially last, lesson in sewing. Mom looked at the project on the floor and simply said, "I don't know anything about sewing, but I think those arrows are there for a reason…"

Fifteen years ago, I began designing and selling specialty clothing for hand painted porcelain dolls. This took me into the commercial realm and I haven't stopped since. I have designed and created everything from costumes for local plays to outfits for Scottish Balls. I love heirloom and boutique clothing, but still get a lot of pleasure from sitting down and 'whipping out' a jumper in my spare moments.

Over the years, I have developed my own 'unorthodox' style of sewing. I streamline the process in order to make it faster, easier, and much more enjoyable than the horror stories of Home Economics courses that my friends tell. The result is a sturdy, yet polished garment. It is my goal to show you those processes so that you too can enjoy the sewing process and know the satisfaction of an item well sewn, without stress or frustration, and in a reasonable amount of time.

No comments:

Post a Comment